Susan Kamau is a consultant cook and a lover of food. Her natural exuberance and talent for communication have led her to become Kenya's most celebrated chef.
Her speciality is in home-style cooking using locally available ingredients in a mix and match of techniques, and in teaching the local community on how to think out of the box with food.
BAKED MAC AND CHEESE
Ingredients250 g uncooked elbow pasta, 200 g cheddar cheese, shredded,
50 g parmesan cheese, grated, 750 ml milk
50 g butter or margarine, ¼ tsp nutmeg, ground
2½ tbsp flour, all purpose
2 tbsp butter (additional for the bread crumbs)
50 g bread crumbs 1 pinch paprika, 1 lemon, cut into 4 wedges
Method1. Cook macaroni according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
2. In a saucepan, melt the butter or margarine. Slowly stir in the flour, to make a roux.
3. Gently pour the milk into the roux mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk or spoon. Add the cheeses and the nutmeg. Cook over low heat until the cheese is melted and the sauce is slightly thickened.
4. Put the cooked macaroni in a large, oven-proof casserole. Pour the sauce over the macaroni and mix well.
5. In a skillet, melt the remaining butter over medium heat. Add the breadcrumbs and brown.
6. Spread the breadcrumbs over the macaroni. Sprinkle with a little paprika.
7. Bake the casserole for 30 minutes at 170 °C. Serve piping hot.
Tilapia with white wine sauce
Ingredients15 g margarine
2 cloves garlic, chopped
500 g fresh tilapia
75 ml dry white wine
125 ml chicken broth or stock
125 ml milk
2 tbsp corn starch
½ bunch parsley, chopped
1 lemon, cut into 4 wedges
Method1. Heat margarine in non-stick pan, add garlic and cook for 2 minutes stirring often
2. Add fish, then wine. Turn fish over gently. Add stock and heat to boil, and then reduce the heat to medium low.
3. Poach fish at a simmer until it is cooked; remove fish to serving platter cover to keep warm.
4. Combine milk with cornstarch and boil it in a pan
stirring from time to time. Let it thicken into a cream sauce about 2 minutes. Add parsley and pepper.
5. Serve immediately with lemon wedges, and sukuma wiki on the side.
Vidonge vya Mushenye (mashed Beans and Sweet potato balls)
Ingredients200 gms boiled beans
40 gms white potatoes
150 gms Bread crumbs
Method- Soak your beans overnight and cook in salted water till tender,
- Add your sweet potatoes,cook till tender then add your beans and mash together
- Roll into balls to a size of 30 gms,pass thru’ flour then eggs and breadcrumbs and deep fry serve as an accompaniments.
Pineapple Skewers with Coconut Rice
300 g boiled rice
400 g coconut milk
200 g double cream
150 g sugar
1 teaspoon cardamon powder
MethodBoil the rice, coconut milk, sugar and cardamon powder for 5 to 6 minutes, add the cream and cook for further 4-5 minutes until rice is soft.
To garnish skewer then pan fry pineapple cubes in a non stick pan, sprinkle sugar on and caramelise set aside warm.